Friday, December 25, 2015

My Writing Process

So, I wanted to share my writing process since I'm taking a break from writing my second book. I don't write books like normal authors; ya know the ones... writing a skeleton timeline, doing research, typing everything up on a computer, etc., etc.

I do do research, however. I have around 20 RSS feeds attached to my e-mail client (Thunderbird), which grabs news stories from various places about once an hour. From these news feeds, I'll take a look at the title of the news piece. I'll take one word from that title that usually grabs my attention, and write down a topic to talk about in my book. So, let's say the title is: "Global warming is real." I'll take the word 'warming' and twist it into "Warming cookies in my cunt is fun." I keep a huge text file full of these topics for future use. I usually keep a copy of the text file in my Dropbox in case I get the urge to start writing while I'm out.

The next step is not writing the rough draft in a text file on the computer. Instead, I have notebooks that I write in. Since I have a laptop that weighs around 15 pounds (it's a gaming laptop since I'm a gamer), it would be unwise to actually carry the laptop around wherever I go. A notebook is lighter, and cheaper to replace in case I get robbed, or if I lose it. It does a number on my wrist since I write a lot, but I prefer it this way. Since my cell phone has the Dropbox app, I can just load the text file up on the phone and look for another topic to talk about.

Writing the actual material is the fun part. The novels aren't one theme. Like, take 'The Hunger Games' books, for example. All 3 books are a common theme that revolves around the main character. My books, however, there is no common theme. Each paragraph is completely different than the last paragraph. The only theme in the books (and I use the term theme loosely here) is that the books are written from a view point of a fictional psychopathic serial killer. That's it.

Every so often, I'll type everything up into a Microsoft Word document. When I've typed up enough pages to my liking, it gets uploaded to Amazon's self-publishing site. The first book was 84 pages, and only because I was very anxious to get it published. My second book, I plan on publishing a larger novel.

Thanks for reading.

Much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment